Monday, October 02, 2006

What's in a name?

Why Strollin' the Net, you ask? My mom is my inspiration, for many reasons of course, but let me explain her particular contribution to this title.

My mom is 57-years-young and an avid stroller of the net. A few years ago she discovered on her own the power of social networks courtesy of Yahoo! Groups. There, she found a common bond with a group of ladies (as she calls them) around an actor named Lane Davies (yes, he has his own wikipedia entry).

Her relationship with the ladies has turned into a true friendship that transcends the online space. Tracy, who lives in Georgia, talks with my mom on the phone often and even sent a gift for my new baby. Jocelyn, who lives in Washington D.C., visits my mom in Maryland on weekends. And, a group of the ladies including my mom travel regularly to see Lane Davies performing Shakespeare in L.A. and Davy Crockett in Tennessee.

And, back to the name. My mom's fondness for the internet created a new career for me in technical support, and because I love my husband deeply I drafted him to the cause. While providing this support, my mom wanted to show us something on a web page so she said, "stroll up" and we dutifully took the mouse and scrolled up. My mom very frustratedly said, "no, stroll up!" Well, as you have guessed "stroll" translates to "scroll". What you might not have guessed is the confusion between up or down which depends entirely on your perspective. You see, my husband and I are speaking about the behavior of the scroll bar while mom is speaking about the behavior of the page. Yes, it's true, when you scroll down, the page strolls up. And, "the net"? Well, my mom frequently calls to tell us what she found or more likely ordered "on the net."

And so, this blog was born in tribute to my mom and all of the cool stuff one can find while strollin' the net.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home