Wednesday, January 10, 2007

First, Break All The Rules

If you know me well, you know I LOVE this book. And, I always enjoy talking with someone who is reading for the first time. So, imagine my delight when my friend who just opened his own salon (it's fabulous, visit Jacques Dessange) told me he was reading this book.

The 12 questions stood out for my friend most:

1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best everyday?
4. In the last seven days, have I received recognition or praise for doing good work?
5. Does my supervisor or someone at work seem to care about me as a person?
6. Is there someone at work who encourages my development?
7. At work, do my opinions seem to count?
8. Does the mission/purpose of my company make me feel my job is important?
9. Are my co-workers committed to doing quality work?
10. Do I have a best friend at work?
11. In the last six months, has someone at work talked to me about my progress?
12. This last year, have I had the opportunity at work to learn and grow?

The best managers strive for employees to answer yes to each of these twelve questions, and among the most important is the best friend question which was most surprising to my friend, Claude.

One of my favorites from this book, "hire for attitude, train for skill."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home